In Washington state, marijuana is legal for adults 21 and over. What does that mean?

  • You must be 21 or older to buy, possess, and use retail marijuana.
  • People under 21 cannot visit a marijuana retail store unless they have a medical card approved by a doctor and are at least 19 years of age.
  • Marijuana remains illegal under federal law.
  • It is illegal and a felony to provide marijuana to people under 21.
  • It is also illegal to use marijuana in public or drive under the influence of marijuana.

How can I talk to youth about marijuana?

Talk Early.

It’s never too early to start talking about important health issues.

Be informed.

View the Youth Marijuana Prevention Toolkit.

[Click Here]

Pick a good time to talk.

Have a regular time to talk, such as over family dinner.

Set expectations

Decide on clear expectations about marijuana use and safety.

Spend time with them. Talk early and often about making safe and healthy choices.

Get in the habit of talking with them so they feel comfortable talking to you about sensitive issues.

Everyone is using marijuana, what’s the big deal?

What is the difference between recreational and medical marijuana?

People use recreational marijuana to get high.

Recreational marijuana has the chemical THC, which causes the high.

People use medical marijuana to treat health issues such as pain.

Medical marijuana has the chemical CBD, which does not cause a high.

Can medical marijuana help with ADHD?

What are the different forms of marijuana?

Marijuana comes in many different forms:


Edibles are food and beverages that contain THC and/or CBD.


Marijuana rolled into a cigarette, cigar, or blunt wrap.


Glass pipes are a tool commonly used for smoking marijuana.


Topical products infused with marijuana used on the skin.


Marijuana in a solution of alcohol and concentrates like oils and waxes. People use tinctures by placing a few drops under their tongue or in food.


Vaporizing marijuana using products like JUUL or blu has become more common.

What should I do if there’s marijuana at home?

If you or any adult you know uses marijuana at home, keep it stored safely.

Other people in the home might accidentally eat or drink edible marijuana that is left out in the open. And it can lead to poisoning or serious injury.

Always lock all marijuana products safely away from children, youth under 21, and pets. Keep it stored, locked, and out of sight.

• If someone accidentally consumes marijuana, call the Washington Poison Center at 1(800) 222-1222.

• If a pet consumes marijuana, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

How do I explain a family member’s marijuana use to my youth?